What Is Modified Bitumen Roofing?
Modified bitumen roofing is one of the most dependable and cost-effective commercial and industrial roofing choices. Because of its durability and long-life duration, it is a preferred choice for many commercial property owners. Modified bitumen comprises asphalt and reinforcing fabric and can be put in a single or multi-ply system. Modified bitumen roofing benefits include its flexibility, simplicity of installation, and fire resistance. The material is also more resistant to UV radiation and harsh weather conditions. Moreover, modified bitumen may be put in any environment, making it a perfect alternative for houses in places with harsh weather conditions. Modified bitumen is an ideal alternative for commercial and industrial establishments with numerous benefits.
Modified bitumen roofing is famous for commercial and industrial buildings due to its durability, longevity, and affordability. It is an asphalt-based roofing system comprising a polymer-modified bitumen sheet and reinforcing layers. Modified bitumen roofing is an excellent choice for flat roofs since it is flexible, lightweight, and highly robust. It offers exceptional weather protection, aids moisture retention, and is resistant to UV radiation, chemicals, and fire. It is also low-maintenance because it does not need frequent repairs or sealants to stay in good shape.
Common Types of Modified Bitumen Roofing
Modified bitumen roofing has been used in the construction industry for many years. It combines asphalt and rubber-like polymers, creating a durable and waterproof material. Several types of modified bitumen roofing vary in their properties and installation methods.
- Self-Adhered Bitumen Roofing: Self-adhered bitumen roofing is a popular form of modified bitumen roofing widely used in commercial and residential applications. It is designed to offer superior performance, durability, and long-lasting protection against the elements. Self-adhered bitumen roofing is easy to install, and its lightweight design makes it an ideal choice for existing roofs.
- Torch-Applied Bitumen Roofing: This roofing typically comprises a base sheet and two plies of modified bitumen. The base sheet generally comprises a heavy-duty, water-resistant reinforced material, such as asphalt-saturated felt. The two plies of modified bitumen are then applied to the base sheet using either a torch or hot asphalt and a mop.
- Cold Process Bitumen Roofing: Cold process bitumen roofing is a modified bitumen roofing system created by combining bitumen, a petroleum by-product, with polymers and other modifiers to create a strong and durable asphalt membrane. Cold process-modified bitumen roofing is typically applied with a cold adhesive and is constructed in multiple layers for optimum protection. Cold process bitumen roofing systems are designed to endure the most challenging weather conditions, including extreme temperatures, heavy precipitation, and high winds.
- Hot Liquid-Applied Bitumen Roofing: This system comprises a base sheet, a cap sheet, and a hot asphalt or bitumen-based adhesive used to attach the two sheets. The system is typically applied in a two-coat process and can be used on roofing substrates such as concrete, asphalt, or metal. Hot liquid-applied bitumen roofing systems are popular due to their durability and flexibility. These systems are highly resistant to the elements, such as UV rays, wind, and hail, and are designed to last for decades.
- Modified Bitumen Roofing with Reinforcement Fabrics: These systems resist punctures and tears, ensuring a long-lasting roof with minimal maintenance. Reinforced bitumen roofing systems usually incorporate a base layer of modified bitumen, then reinforced with a layer of roofing fabric. This layer of fabric provides additional strength and protection against the elements.
- Mopped Modified Bitumen Roofing: Mopped modified bitumen roofing systems are considered one of the oldest and most common types of modified bitumen roofing systems, as they are relatively easy to install and repair. The process begins with installing a fiberglass-reinforced base sheet and applying the modified bitumen membrane. The membrane is then mopped on with hot asphalt, which provides a secure bond and waterproof seal.
Benefits Of Modified Bitumen Roofing
Modified Bitumen roofing is a type of asphalt-based roofing membrane that has become increasingly popular with builders and homeowners alike. This particular type of roofing system offers many distinct benefits that make it an attractive choice for many. Here are some of the advantages of Modified Bitumen roofing:
- Durable and Long-lasting: Its durability and long-lasting performance make it the perfect solution for protecting your structure from the elements. Modified bitumen roofing materials are designed to withstand extreme weather conditions, including heavy rain and high winds. Furthermore, this type of roofing is resistant to UV rays, which can cause premature aging of other roofing materials. The seamless design of modified bitumen roofing also helps to prevent water leaks, making it an excellent choice for areas that experience a lot of rain or snow.
- Minimal Maintenance Requirements: This roofing system combines polyester and asphalt, providing both durability and flexibility to the structure. It is also resistant to punctures, tears, and other physical damage, making it an ideal option for low-maintenance building owners.
- Improved Energy Efficiency: This roofing system has a low heat transfer rate, which helps reduce the energy needed to maintain comfortable temperatures in the building. It also keeps the building cooler, reducing the need for air conditioning and associated energy costs. Additionally, the reflectivity surface of modified bitumen roofing systems helps reduce solar radiation absorbed by the building, further improving energy efficiency. It can result in significant savings on the roof’s lifetime.
- Cost-Effective Option for Commercial Roofing: Modified bitumen roofing is an increasingly popular choice among commercial property owners looking for a cost-effective roofing solution. This roofing material offers several benefits that make it an attractive option for those needing a reliable, cost-effective roofing system. The main advantages of modified bitumen roofing include strong performance, extended lifespan, and cost-effectiveness.
- Easy to Install: Modified bitumen roofing is easier to install than traditional built-up roofs, allowing property owners to reduce labor costs. This type of roofing also requires minimal maintenance and can last for decades with proper care.