Replacing a roof is the process of removing your home’s roofing system and replacing it with a new and durable material that will protect your home from the elements.
You can protect your property by taking the time to learn about the Roofing Replacement process and how to find a qualified roofer.
When you notice roofing damages, call experts immediately. You need to repair or replace it with a new roof.
Here’s a quick guide about the steps of Roof Replacements written by Austin Roofing & Water Damage | WDR.
Roof Replacement Steps
Did you notice that some shingles are loose or broken? Are there bald spots where granules should be? Does the structure look old and worn? You may need to get your roof replaced!
However, if you want to get the best results, you should understand the process. These are the steps that reputable roofing contractors usually follow to install a new roof.
Prepare Home and Driveway for Roofing Replacement
- Clear your driveway of cars or items so that the hauling trailer can be easily accessed by workers
- Remove all pets from fenced areas around workers
- Remove breakable objects, such as flower pots, from the perimeter of your home
- Follow proper safety measures by ensuring workers use appropriate safety gear when needed
Remove the Existing Roofing Structure
- Workers begin to remove the existing roofing system by starting at the base of the old roof, on all slopes, and working their way upwards
- Old shingles are removed using flat tools to dis-adhere them from the roof deck
- Felt paper or underlayment is removed
- Roofing nails and staples are nailed flat into the roof decking or removed
- Your homes exhaust vents, including the ridge vent and other penetrations, such as solar panels and satellite dishes, are carefully removed to ensure their safety and proper reassembly
Ensure Proper Flashing
- Ensure metal flashing around the chimney, and other penetrations are properly installed, in good condition, and counter flashed.
- A drip edge may be used on the perimeter of the roofing structure. This provides a 2″ lip that allows rainwater to drip further away from home
- Usually, felt ‘paper’ is used as a barrier under your roofing materials to keep any moisture away from your roof’s wood decking material.
- This underlayment can be 15 pounds or 30 pounds felt, where the heavier felt paper is for steeper roof pitches.
- For Metal Roofing projects, usually, a synthetic underlayment material is used
Install New Roofing Material
- Whether you are replacing an Asphalt Shingle, Barrel Tile, Snap-lock Metal Panel, or Flat Roofing product the technicians that are installing your roofing material should follow the best industry-leading practices and company specifications
- Experts prepare all the roofing materials (most also help you determine which are the best options for your new roof) and new shingles
- Once your roof deck is fully prepared for the new shingles, the roof installation process begins
- Your roofing contractor begin installing starter shingles to build a solid structure
Clean Up and Roofing Inspection
- Using heavy professional magnets, we find and clear all debris from your home’s roof, driveway, and yard
- After removing the roofing debris, the project manager will thoroughly inspect the installation and materials
- Meet with customer to finalize job and receive full payment for work and materials
- Your roofing materials should be warrantied by the manufacturer
- Roofing labor is warrantied by the roofing contractor that installs your roof replacement
Austin Roofing & Water Damage | WDR has a solid reputation for local roofing expertise and honesty, and we offer an ironclad warranty.
Do you still have questions about the roof replacement process? Check this FAQ section and find all the information you need!
Knowing the difference between a roof replacement and a roof repair is essential to define the type of service you need.
A roof replacement means that you will get a new roof. This process takes time since contractors must prepare the structure to install the new shingles. Additionally, it can have a significant impact on your property’s curb appeal.
If you get a roof replacement, you should also keep in mind that the service requires more work and roofing materials, as it targets the entire roof.
Instead, a roof repair varies depending on the damage extent. If done by a seasoned roofing contractor, a repair can extend your existing roof’s lifespan and offer lasting solutions to problems caused by storms, wear and tear, extreme weather, and more!
That’s why it is important to seek expert help before starting any repair or replacement work on your roof. A skilled roofing contractor can help you determine what service you need.
Getting a roof replacement can solve some problems in the structure if it is damaged, but it also offers other benefits, including the following:
- It helps you save money in the long run
- You can have a new roof with better energy efficiency
- It enhances your property’s curb appeal and can increase its value
- The process can be the ideal solution to address all roofing issues
If you need a roof replacement and want to get the best results, finding a reliable roofing contractor is essential. Therefore, you must make a smart decision and choose the best expert. These are some tips that you can keep in mind to do so:
- Get as much information as possible about the company since all contractors have different specialties. Do you need a replacement for metal roofs? Do you want a traditional shingle roof structure or prefer new technology? Answering those questions can help you make the best decision.
- Check the contractor’s reputation on social media or Google. Reviews from previous customers can help you know if the company is trustworthy.
- If the contractor has a location near you, visit their job site to learn more about their work and the roofing materials they use.
- Always ask all the questions you have in mind and take the time to interview the potential contractor. A reliable expert will always be willing to provide you with all the information you need.
The lifespan and durability of your roof also depend on the roofing materials you choose. These are the most common:
- Asphalt shingles
- Metal shingles
- Wood shake shingles
- Stone-coated steel
- Clay tiles
- Concrete tile
- Slate shingles
- Solar tiles
- Membrane roofing
- Rubber slate tile
- Green roofs
- And more!
If you want to change the material of your existing roof but don’t know which is the best alternative, expert roofing contractors can lend you a hand!
Before starting the process, technicians can help you determine which are the best new roofing materials for your property and learn about all the benefits of each option you can find on the market.
Roof inspections are essential to determine the extent of damage and the type of service you need.
Before removing the old roof parts and installing the starter shingles, experienced contractors should perform inspections to spot issues that need to be addressed in order to get the best results.
A roof inspection by an experienced technician can also help you determine if you need a roof replacement because the entire structure is damaged or if a roof repair may be the ideal solution.
Putting ice and water shields on roofs is always recommended in areas where the risk of ice dams or wind-driven rain is high. In some states and cities, it is also mandatory.
Replacing roofs requires knowledge and experience. Therefore, before starting to remove the damaged old shingles, contractors often perform an inspection.
Before the inspection, some also ask homeowners several key questions since it is important to know some aspects of the structure. The main ones are its age, roof type, material, and more.
Repairing a 20-year-old asphalt shingle roof is not the same as fixing a five-year-old structure made of wood shakes, for example. That’s why it is essential to give contractors all the information they need!