2021 has brought Austin unpredictable and record-setting weather. From ice storms in February, to hail storms in April, Austin homes have taken a beating. This unprecedented and damaging weather brings in roofing contractors from out-of-town and even out-of-state. While it may seem like these transient roofing companies may be able to help the increased demand for roofing services, there are many pitfalls to hiring out-of-town contractors that homeowners may not be aware of.
Here are a few reasons Austin homeowners should consider when choosing between local or out-of-town contractors:
- Local contractors can honor long-term warranties. As out-of-town contractors flood the Austin area in search of new work, they often leave homeowners with limited ways to receive warranty work. Oftentimes issues with a repaired roof may not manifest until years down the road. These out-of-town contractors may not be available or willing to travel and repair your roof. Local contractors, like WDR, will be able to maintain your roof and provide extended warranty service work.
- Out-of-town contractors are sending salesmen, not workers. With unprecedented weather events like Austin has experienced, we often see a flood of salesmen selling new roofs to Austinites. The workers and laborers for these out-of-town contractors can be states away. It is unpredictable to know when they’ll be able to start and if they will even be able to find the right people for the job. Local contractors, like WDR, have a team of vetted and proven laborers to get the job done right. Out-of-town contractors will be forced to experiment with a new labor force. Do you want the contractor to experiment with your roof?
- Out-of-town contractors have limited access to building materials. Ever since the COVID pandemic, Austin, like most of the country, has experienced a shortage of building materials. When you couple the shortage with the multiple major weather events, materials become even that more scarce. Out-of-town contractors do not have relationships with local vendors to quickly provide the materials needed to repair your roof. It’s oftentimes cost-prohibitive to import roofing materials from out-of-state, thus driving up the cost of your new roof.
- Local contractors will be able to repair your roof faster. If a damaged roof is left damaged for too long, it can cause extensive damage throughout the home. Time is of the essence when repairing a roof. Out-of-town contractors have many factors stacked against them that prevent them from fixing roofs promptly. Local contractors have the labor, materials, experience, knowledge of the nuances in our community to be able to expeditiously repair your roof.
- Local contractors have relationships with local insurance companies. Many Austin homeowners have homeowners insurance that will cover some or all of their roof repairs. Local contractors have experience with local (and national) insurance companies and the processes it takes to successfully file a proper claim. At WDR, we work with insurance adjusters to streamline this process and save you, the homeowner, the most time and money possible.