Austin and other communities in Central Texas are hit by hail storms and high winds at least once a year.
In the state, the severe weather season is usually between March and August each year, wreaking havoc on properties, especially on roofs.
Actually, hail damage is one of the most common weather-related causes for filing a homeowners insurance claim in Texas.
Do you live there, and hail or high winds have blown off your roof shingles? It hasn’t happened but do you want to prepare for the next severe weather season?
Read on to find a short guide and tips on how to repair roof shingles blown off during a storm!
To learn more about roof repair services visit Water Damage and Roofing of Austin
Related Article: 8 Signs that you need a roof repair
Why Roof Shingles Might Blow off During Storm
Hail storms or high winds can cause roofing shingles to blow off. However, the damage is not caused only by severe weather conditions but for multiple reasons. Here are the most common.
Common Reasons Why a Roof Shingle Can Be Blown Off
- Faulty Installation: If the roofing nails are not driven properly through the nailing strip but are installed too high, the shingles could blow off.
- Insufficient cure time: Roofs need about four to six weeks to cure fully if adhesive seals are used. Otherwise, the shingles could bend or detach.
- Aging: Overall, homeowners need roof repairs every 10 to 15 years. That’s the period a typical roof and its shingles often last.
- Roof damage: Roofing asphalt shingles cannot be securely attached when the structure is damaged. Therefore, they’re more likely to fall or be blown off during storms.
— Water Damage and Roofing of Austin (@WDRofAustin) November 25, 2022
If you notice missing shingles but do nothing to fix them, you could face other issues, including:
- Leaks: Roof shingles prevent moisture from entering your property. If they are damaged or blown off, water could enter the structure, causing leaks and other problems.
- High energy bills: Damaged roof shingles can also affect the structure’s ability to keep the property cool and protected from the sun’s rays. If you use your air conditioning system more when it’s too hot, your energy bill can skyrocket.
- Damage to the entire property: Your property is more prone to structural damage if you wait a long time to repair the roof after noticing blown-off shingles.
Can I DIY Roof Repair?
DIY enthusiasts often try to repair damaged roofs or replace existing shingles themselves in an attempt to save money.
However, it is not a safe option for all homeowners. Also, if you don’t have the right tools and enough experience in repairing shingle roofs, you risk making an installation mistake that can lead to future problems.
If roof shingles are not installed properly, they could fall off during storms and cost you more money in the future.
In addition, if you do not know the process, you also risk having an accident.
Step by Step to Repair Roof Shingles That Were Blown off During a Storm
Whether you fix your roof’s blown-off shingles yourself or call a professional roofing tradesman, here are the steps involved in the process.
Identify Damaged Shingles and Assesses the Damage Degree
The first step is to determine how many missing shingles are on your roof. This way, you know how many replacement parts to buy and identify the type of product you need.
What Happens If Blown-off Shingles Are Not Repaired?
Remember that you should buy matching shingles! Otherwise, you can ruin your roof’s appearance and functionality.
Remember that you must inspect additional hidden damage. Therefore, while you’re checking the area, loosen shingle nails on top of broken shingles or remove those that are partially damaged.
How to Spot a Missing Shingle
Spotting missing shingles is easier than you think. If you believe some may have fallen during the storm, just head to a spot where you can get a good view of your roof.
Blown-off or cracked shingles are easy to spot. If it has fallen off completely, you will notice a dark space where it used to be.
Additionally, a damaged shingle often appears discolored, lifted, or curled. If you notice these signs, you need roof repair there!
Look for the Tools You Are Going to Use During the Process
Now, you need to find all the tools that will help you to install a new shingle! These are:
- Roofing hammer
- Shingles matching your existing roofing material
- Roofing nails
- Pry bar
- Safety harness
- Roofing cement (in some cases)
Install a Ladder to Avoid Accidents
Remember that your safety is important! Doing a roof shingles repair can lead to accidents if you don’t follow proper safety measures. Slips and falls are the most common!
Therefore, the first step before getting down to business is to install a ladder. Besides that, you can also follow these safety tips:
- Wear a harness
- Wear non-slip or thick-soled rubber shoes
- Work with another person who can help you in case something goes wrong
- Be very careful where you step
- Avoid working in the rain or when temperatures get too high or low
Remove Roofing Nails and Debris
If there’s a damaged shingle, you will need to remove the old nails. In this step, the pry bar can be your best ally.
When there are blown-off shingles, you must ensure that all debris or lingering old parts are removed before installing new pieces.
Remove Damaged Shingles
Did you notice that there are damaged shingles? If so, you need to remove them! During this phase, you must pull it down the roof’s slope.
If the part gets stuck, you should check whether the remaining nails are still clung. There are no nails there? It’s time to pry the new roof shingles!
Replace Shingles by Sliding a New One in Its Place
Once you remove the damaged or broken shingles, the next step is to slide a new piece into place.
Start at the top of the damaged area and then continue installing the others one by one. In this step, you may need to temporarily remove the nails so that each shingle can overlap properly.
Secure Your Shingles Using Roofing Nails
Hold the new shingle in place! There are three methods to do this: using nails, adhesive strips, or staples.
All options are great, but nails work best in tough climates like Austin, Texas.
When to Call a Professional Roof Repair
When they need to install a new shingle, many people believe they can do the roof repair themselves and save money in the process.
Unfortunately, saving some bucks now can result in future roof damage.
If you want high-quality results, hiring experienced experts who have the right tools to repair roof shingles is the best way to go!
In addition to ensuring the desired outcome, professionals knowing the right steps to install a roof shingle can prevent future problems, especially if you live in a city prone to storms and strong winds like Austin.
Why Calling a Roofing Contractor Is the Best Way to Go
If you hire roof repair experts, you can enjoy many benefits, including:
- You don’t have to spend money on tools that you probably only use once
- You can be sure that you will have the best results
- Each new shingle will be in place longer, as the experts know how to get longer-lasting results
- They can help you save time
- They can advise you on how to prevent future damage
- And more!
As you can see, DIY a roof replacement if you notice a missing shingle might seem like a good idea. However, hiring experts can save you money, time, and headaches!
Whether you have asphalt shingles or believe the problems on your roof have been caused by an improper installation, a roofing company can lend you a hand!