Barton Springs Public Pool is a famous destination in Austin, TX, noted for its soothing waters and gorgeous natural surroundings. The pool, which can be found at 2201 William Barton Dr, has long been a favorite hangout for both locals and tourists. The pool has a length of 1,000 feet with a depth range of 3 to 18 feet, providing plenty of room for swimming, tanning, and relaxing. The waters are regularly kept at a pleasant temperature of about 68 degrees Fahrenheit and are fed by natural springs. The pool is a must-see location for anybody touring Austin due to its distinctive characteristics, natural beauty, and historical significance.
History of Barton Springs Municipal Pool
Barton Springs Municipal Pool is a well-known landmark in Austin, Texas, that has been in operation since 1918. The pool is fed by natural springs and is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike. The history of the pool dates back to the early 1900s when a local landowner named Andrew Jackson Zilker donated the land to the city of Austin for public use. The pool was originally built as a dam to control flooding, but it quickly became a popular swimming spot for residents. Over the years, the pool has undergone several renovations and upgrades to meet the changing needs of its visitors. Today, Barton Springs Municipal Pool remains a cherished part of Austin’s rich history and continues to attract swimmers of all ages.
Features of Barton Springs Municipal Pool
Barton Springs Municipal Pool is a unique attraction in the heart of Austin, Texas, offering visitors a one-of-a-kind swimming experience. Here are some of the top features that make this natural swimming pool a must-visit destination:
- Natural Spring-Fed Water
One of the unique features of Barton Springs Municipal Pool is its source of water. The pool is fed by four natural springs that keep the water at a refreshing temperature of around 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit year-round. The water is also exceptionally clean and clear, making it a popular destination for swimmers who prefer natural bodies of water.
- Three Distinct Areas
The pool is divided into three distinct areas to cater to different swimming preferences. The shallow end of the pool is perfect for families with young children or those who prefer to lounge in the water. The middle section of the pool is ideal for lap swimmers, while the deep end is reserved for diving and jumping off the diving board.
- Surrounding Greenery
Barton Springs Municipal Pool is situated within Zilker Park, a 351-acre public park that is home to a variety of flora and fauna. The pool is surrounded by lush trees and greenery, providing a serene and natural setting for swimmers and sunbathers.
- Bathhouse and Amenities
Barton Springs Municipal Pool features a bathhouse with changing rooms and showers for swimmers. The bathhouse also includes concessions stand where visitors can purchase snacks and drinks. The pool does not allow outside food or drinks, so the concessions stand is a popular spot for visitors to grab a bite to eat.
- Events and Activities
Barton Springs Municipal Pool hosts several events throughout the year, including the annual “Splash Party Movie Nights” during the summer months. During these events, visitors can swim in the pool while watching a movie projected onto a large inflatable screen. The pool also hosts a variety of fitness classes, including yoga and water aerobics. Website
Things to Do at Barton Springs Municipal Pool
Swimming is the main attraction at Barton Springs Municipal Pool, but there’s plenty more to do and see during your visit. Some of the top things to do at the pool include:
- Sunbathing: With over three acres of grassy areas surrounding the pool, there’s plenty of space to lay out and soak up the sun.
- People-Watching: Barton Springs Municipal Pool attracts a diverse crowd of people from all walks of life, making it a prime spot for people-watching.
- Diving: There are several diving boards located at the deep end of the pool, including a high dive for the more adventurous swimmers.
- Snorkeling: The crystal-clear water at Barton Springs Municipal Pool makes it a great spot for snorkeling and exploring the underwater world.
- Nature Walks: The park surrounding the pool features several trails and pathways, perfect for taking a leisurely stroll and enjoying the natural beauty of the area.
- Special Events: Barton Springs Municipal Pool hosts several special events throughout the year, including the annual Polar Bear Splash in January and the springtime Hillside Theater musicals.
Tips for Visiting Barton Springs Municipal Pool
If you’re planning a visit to Barton Springs Municipal Pool, here are a few tips to help you make the most of your experience:
- Arrive Early: Barton Springs Municipal Pool can get crowded, especially during the summer months. Arriving early in the day is the best way to beat the crowds and secure a good spot.
- Pack A Picnic: While there are food options available at the pool, packing a picnic lunch is a great way to enjoy a meal in the park and save some money.
- Wear Sunscreen: The Texas sun can be intense, especially during the summer months. Be sure to wear sunscreen and reapply throughout the day to protect your skin.
- Follow The Rules: Barton Springs Municipal Pool has a set of rules and regulations to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all visitors. Be sure to read and follow these rules, including no diving in shallow water and no glass containers.
Essential Information About Barton Springs Municipal Pool
Location: 2201 William Barton Dr, Austin, TX 78746, United States
Operating Hours: Monday to Friday – 5 AM to 10 PM