The Austin Yacht Club is a sailing and social club located on the shores of Lake Travis in Austin, Texas. Founded in 1951, the club has grown to become one of the largest yacht clubs in the United States, with a vibrant community of sailors and boaters of all skill levels.
The Austin Yacht Club was founded in 1951 by a group of sailing enthusiasts who wanted to establish a community of like-minded individuals dedicated to the sport of sailing. The club began with just a handful of members and a small fleet of boats, but it quickly grew in popularity, attracting sailors and boaters from all over the Austin area.
In the early days of the club, sailing was a relatively new sport in Texas, and the members of the Austin Yacht Club were instrumental in promoting and growing the sport in the region. They organized sailing races and regattas and helped to establish other sailing clubs and programs in the area. Look at this site
Over the years, the Austin Yacht Club has grown and evolved, adding new facilities and programs to meet the changing needs of its members. Today, the club boasts a full-service marina, a spacious clubhouse, and a wide range of sailing programs and events.
The club has also played a key role in the development of youth sailing in Texas. In the 1970s, the club established a youth sailing program, which has since grown to become one of the largest and most successful programs in the state. The program has produced many top-level sailors and has helped to introduce thousands of young people to the joys of sailing. Basics
Throughout its history, the Austin Yacht Club has remained committed to its founding principles of promoting and growing the sport of sailing and fostering a welcoming and inclusive community of boaters and sailors. Today, the club continues to thrive, attracting new members and sailors from all over the Austin area and beyond.
Facilities and Amenities
The Austin Yacht Club boasts a wide range of facilities and amenities to support its members and visitors. These include:
- Marina: The club has a full-service marina with over 160 slips, ranging in size from 20 to 60 feet. The marina offers electricity, water, and pump-out services, as well as a fuel dock and boat ramp.
- Clubhouse: The club’s spacious clubhouse offers members and visitors a comfortable and welcoming place to socialize, dine, and relax. The clubhouse features a restaurant, bar, and banquet facilities, as well as a swimming pool, hot tub, and fitness center.
- Sailing Center: The club’s sailing center is home to a fleet of more than 100 boats, including one-design sailboats, dinghies, and keelboats. The center offers a range of sailing programs for all ages and skill levels, including racing, cruising, and instruction.
- Youth Sailing: The Austin Yacht Club has a strong commitment to youth sailing, offering a range of programs for young sailors, including summer camps, clinics, and after-school programs.
- Events: The club hosts a variety of social and sailing events throughout the year, including regattas, sailing races, holiday parties, and live music events.
The Austin Yacht Club offers several types of membership to suit the needs of different sailors and boaters. These include:
- Regular Membership: This membership is open to individuals or families who own a boat or who wish to participate in the club’s sailing and social activities.
- Junior Membership: This membership is open to individuals between the ages of 18 and 30 who wish to participate in the club’s sailing and social activities.
- Social Membership: This membership is open to individuals or families who do not own a boat but wish to participate in the club’s social activities.
- Affiliate Membership: This membership is open to individuals or families who live outside the Austin area but wish to participate in the club’s sailing and social activities when visiting the area.
- Corporate Membership: This membership is open to businesses that wish to use the club’s facilities for corporate events or entertaining clients.
How to Go There?
The Austin Yacht Club is located at 5906 Beacon Dr, Austin, TX 78734, United States. Here are some ways to get there:
The most convenient way to get to the Austin Yacht Club is by car. You can take Highway 71 west from Austin and then take the exit for Bee Cave Road. From Bee Cave Road, turn right onto Highlands Boulevard, and then turn left onto Beacon Drive. The club will be on your right.
By Public Transportation:
It is not very convenient to reach the Austin Yacht Club by public transportation as there are no direct buses or trains that go to the location. However, you can take the Capital Metro bus to the Lakeway Park and Ride and then take a taxi or ride-sharing service to the Austin Yacht Club.
If you are coming by boat, the Austin Yacht Club is located on the south shore of Lake Travis. The club has a full-service marina with boat slips and a fuel dock, so you can dock your boat there and enjoy the facilities.
The Austin Yacht Club has a large parking lot for members and guests. There is plenty of parking available, so you should not have any trouble finding a spot.
Once you arrive at the Austin Yacht Club, you can check in with the reception desk or the dockmaster’s office, and they will be happy to help you with any questions or needs you may have.
Whether you’re an experienced sailor or just starting out, the Austin Yacht Club offers a welcoming and inclusive community of boaters and sailors. With a range of facilities and amenities, as well as a strong commitment to youth sailing, the club is a great place to learn, socialize, and enjoy the beauty of Lake Travis.
Important Information Need to Know
- Address: 5906 Beacon Dr, Austin, TX 78734, United States
- Website: http://austinyachtclub.net/
- Contact: +15122661336
- Open Hours: Wednesday-Saturday (9 am-5 pm), Sunday (12-5 pm), Monday-Tuesday (Closed)